Anyway, I've now been looking at the iPad on the internet to see what it does. The same question that I asked myself when the iPad was unveiled remains: "Why do I need an iPad?"
I'm not saying that the iPad is useless. I'm merely wondering why Apple believes that I need to own this product. As you may know, the iPad is created to be an "in-between" product. Not quite as powerful or with as many features than a laptop, but more powerful than a smart phone. I myself have both a MacBook and an iPod touch. So for me this question is very relevant. The idea is that the iPad is great for mobile surfing, while with a screen bigger than the iPod touch or iPhone. Well, my MacBook has a 13 inch screen, and is mobile because it's a laptop. Thus, "couch surfing" as they call it is already fulfilled for me through my laptop. It's just as functional on a couch as an iPad. While an iPad would be easier to hold and use while lying back on the coach, I do not believe that feature alone is worth 500 dollars. However it should be noted that it can be carried around the house and used more easily for different tasks. More on that later.
So then, what else does the iPad do? One of the main features being advertised is the book reading feature, with the new iBooks app from Apple as well as Amazon's Kindle app. With these apps, I can easily browse through an entire library of books with a flick of my finger. I can download many different books within minutes. Convenience is the key here. I don't have to rummage through my book-shelf. I don't have to run down to the book store to pick up a book. Also, online newspapers suddenly become a much more tangible media form. I don't have to access it on a computer. I can literally hold the device that portrays it to me like I would an actual newspaper. But here's where it gets cool. When I'm done reading one paper, I can go to another within seconds. Or, I can stop reading the newspaper altogether and check my email. Or listen to music. Or watch a movie. I can do all of these things on the same device, and interchange within seconds. (This will be even easier with the multi-tasking feature coming on iPhone OS 4.)
The iPad is starting to look pretty cool. I'm not going to deny it: this device looks awesome. The question is, do people with a smart phone and laptop need to drop 500 dollars or more for it? Is it really worth it? To be frank, I don't know. I've never even seen an iPad in real life, let alone used one. My thoughts will probably grow once I have actually tried the device.
But what if someone doesn't have a laptop? Say they have an iMac and an iPhone An iPad could not only be convenient, but useless. If someone wanted to surf the web on their coach or check their e-mail at the Kitchen Table, it could be done with the iPad. They could honestly use this and not feel over the top with an excessive device. (If the device is truly excessive. It's impossible to tell without using one first hand.)
Those are the thoughts I've been having. While I initially thought that the iPad was kind of lame, I'm not kind of excited about it. Who knows? If it is useful and I have a few hundred bucks burning a whole in my pocket within a few years time (Yeah right!), I may pick up one. (By then the hardware will probably be perfected.)
Cheerio!
No comments:
Post a Comment